Sunday, May 17, 2015

Unrestored, 25,600-mile L82-powered 1975 Chevrolet Corvette

White Cherry: Only 25,600 miles on this unrestored L82-powered ’75

Unrestored, 25,600-mile L82-powered 1975 Chevrolet Corvette
Let’s face it, 1975 was not exactly a golden year for the Corvette. In fact, the base model was ranked by Edmunds.com as one of the worst Corvette models of all time. Thankfully, the L82 engine option was available to take the anemic 350-cid V-8 to 205 hp with the help of a healthier camshaft and 9.0:1 compression.
Only about 2,372 L82 Corvettes were built for 1975. In total that year, Chevrolet built 38,465 Corvettes. For point of reference, that’s about three times as many as the 2013 model run! And about the same percentage of the ’13 models were made up of Z06s and ZR1s as the L82 in 1975. Of course, once you start drilling down into the option codes of Tim Devlin’s 1975, such as the M21 close-ratio Muncie four-speed manual or the Saddle interior, it becomes even more rare. But power and production numbers are not what make this ’75 worth a second look.
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Front Wheel Fender 2/11
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Emblem 3/11
This unrestored Classic White cherry took second flight at an NCRS event because it sports just 25,600 miles. It’s barely broken-in … 40 years after it was first sold! Full documentation proves the authenticity of the mileage, which is what made the ’75 too good a deal to pass up for Devlin.
“I first came into contact with this car when its owner brought it to my shop (Devlin Rod & Customs) to inquire about some work. That owner later sold the car to one of my longtime customers. When that customer brought it to my shop to have the A/C serviced I remarked that if he ever wanted to sell the car to let me know. Two years ago he called. I told him the timing wasn’t right and I would have to pass, but if he couldn’t sell it call me back. He did call back and said it must go because he had bought something else.”
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Engine 4/11
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Console 5/11
Of course, some two years later, the hot rod builder never thought he’d still own the stock ’75. “I had intentions to flip it, but I fell in love with it. I tease my wife that our two-year-old son will drive this for his first car. I’ve always liked this series of Corvettes. They were still on the street when I was a kid. One of the execs at my dad’s company always had one. I had a teacher in grade school with one. They are nice driving cars. Much more technologically advanced than the C1 and C2. And it only has 25,000 miles! It’s a brand-new car. How often do you run across a car that old with that kind of mileage?”
Of course, some two years later, the hot rod builder never thought he’d still own the stock ’75. “I had intentions to flip it, but I fell in love with it. I tease my wife that our two-year-old son will drive this for his first car. I’ve always liked this series of Corvettes. They were still on the street when I was a kid. One of the execs at my dad’s company always had one. I had a teacher in grade school with one. They are nice driving cars. Much more technologically advanced than the C1 and C2. And it only has 25,000 miles! It’s a brand-new car. How often do you run across a car that old with that kind of mileage?”
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Interior 6/11
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Saddle Leather Seats 10/11
Just by looking at the immaculate paint and interior on this 1975 we can tell, though, that from the time it left the St. Louis assembly plant it lead a pampered life. It never went on a cross-country trip with foolish young men. It never blew a tire on the way to work. It was never towed to an impound lot for parking in the wrong place. Sandy feet or French fries never touched the carpet. Any stories surrounding this L82 C3 would have to do with the people that cared for it, and ultimately why they gave it up.
People have come and gone, but this ’75 has survived. It’s one of the lowest mileage C3s we’ve ever seen. Devlin’s Corvette gives us an incredible glimpse into exactly how this car rolled off the assembly line. Short of hopping in a time machine, this is the only way many of us will have this experience. And if this car continues to stay in Tim’s family, yet another generation will breathe in that new car smell from 1975.
1975 Chevrolet Corvette Rear

No comments:

Post a Comment