Tuesday, March 10, 2015

1972 Chevrolet C10 - Truck Guys, Third Generation

Scott Suhr Passes the Torch With a Little Help From Dad

1972 Chevrolet C10 - Truck Guys, Third Generation
I have been attending car shows with my dad and his friends as long as I can remember. I have always been in love with the '67-'72 Chevy pickups since my dad had a '72 Chevy longbed when I was 16. The plan was for me to drive the '72, but it was in really bad shape so I had to settle for a car. Ever since then I have wanted to build a shortbed when I had the money. I still remember the first time I met my wife's grandma and she was driving a 1970 shortbed that she had bought new in 1970. I then told my wife to make sure that when she quit driving the truck that I wanted to purchase it.
About six years ago I was able to purchase the truck. When I finally had enough money to start on the truck I started explaining to my wife all the modifications that I wanted and she really didn't want me to do that to her late grandma's truck. So, the search started to find another shortbed pickup. After several months of searching I located a 1972 Chevrolet C10 pickup with no motor in Ottawa, Kansas. I was not able to go and look at it so I sent my dad, Dave, because I trusted his opinion. Once he got there he called me and said it was a pretty straight truck and the frame had already been powdercoated, so I purchased it.
1972 Chevrolet C10 Shortbed Truck Bed 2/11
Once I bought the truck I called a friend, Ron Johnston, to see if he would want to help me build the it. After I got it home and started talking to body shops about fixing a few things we started noticing that the bodywork had several issues. I decided to have the whole truck blasted back down to bare metal, and thank goodness I did. Whoever did the bodywork had spot-welded the cab corners and rocker panels in and then filled it with body putty—tons of it. I talked to Fredy's Body Shop about fixing all my issues and making sure that everything was repaired with metal and not putty. These guys wanted me to come by every week to check on the progress and also see the metalwork that they had completed. The only filler in this truck is just to help smooth it out before paint. I took the truck to them and told them that I wanted a decent job because it was going to be a driver and they blew my socks off with the finished product. I also purchased a bolt kit from Totally Stainless that was made for the truck.
After the guys at Fredy's did such a beautiful job the project suddenly changed directions. I knew I couldn't put some of the old stuff back on the truck so everything that needed to be repaired was replaced with new parts. As with all projects they seem to morph into something that you don't plan for, oftentimes costing a lot more money than originally had been budgeted for.
After I got the truck back, my dad, my son, and I started the process of putting everything back together. This was the first build that I had ever been a part of and it was a lot of fun. I was planning on putting in a 383 stroker, but Brian at Dahmer Powertrain talked me into the carbureted LS6. That has been a great decision. So many people are surprised to see the carbureted LS6, so it is a big discussion point at all shows. To have almost 480 horsepower by just putting on a carburetor was awesome.
1972 Chevrolet C10 Ls6 5.7 Crate Motor From Dahmer Powertrain 3/11
We purchased a wiring harness from Haywire to put in the truck and handle the LS systems. Extra time was spent to ensure that we could hide all the wiring in the engine compartment. Most of the wires have been hidden in the fenders or they came out under the cab and we brought them up to the motor from behind. We then made custom aluminum covers to hide the holes on the firewall. We used a '69-'70 grille and bumper on the truck because I was not a big fan of the '72 items. After the truck came out of the body shop, we put everything back together and it was on the road in nine months.
1972 Chevrolet C10 Interior 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Bucket Seats With Teak Ultraleather Upholstery

 1972 Chevrolet C10 Interior Stock Dashboard With Teak Ultraleather
Since I still have my wife's grandma's truck, there is another build in my future. The plan is to keep the truck as stock as possible, built for my son to drive with the hope that we can enjoy many years of car shows together just like I have with my dad.
1972 Chevy C10
Scott Suhr
Chassis
Frame: stock frame
Modifications: 4½-inch drop in the front and 5 inches in the rear, spindles are from MOOG
Rearend / Ratio: GM 12-bolt with a 3.73 gear
Rear suspension: Early Classic Shock relocator Kit with KYB shocks and a Super track bar
Rear brakes: CPP disc brakes
Front suspension: Front sway bar from Early Classic
Front brakes: CPP disc brakes
Steering box: Stock rebuilt from Classic Parts
Front wheels: American Eagles 225 Series, 20x8
Rear wheels: American Eagles 225 Series, 20x10
Front tires: Nitto NT420 245/45R20
Rear tires: Nitto NT420 285/40R20
Gas tank: relocated under the bed with a stainless steel tank from CPP with a bed fill
Drivetrain
Engine: LS6 5.7 crate motor from Dahmer Powertrain
Heads: Stock
Coil cover: Custom made from CBM
Manifold / Induction: carburetor
Headers: Sanderson 1¾-inch
Exhaust / Mufflers: 3-inch Flowmasters
Transmission: rebuilt 700-R4
Modifications: custom built radiator from Performance Rod & Custom for the LS6 motor, installed the Vintage Air LS Front Runner w/ps
Body
Style: C10 Shortbed
Modifications: shaved door handles, removed all trim, filled in stake pockets, filled in cargo light, door poppers, smooth tailgate with handle relocated inside the bed, custom firewall, one-piece power window kit from Brothers Trucks
Fenders front / rear: original
Hood: Cowl hood, polished aluminum hinges from Eddie Motorsports
Grille: '69-'70 grille from Classic Parts
Bed: Original bed that has been sprayed and an aluminum tonneau cover from Pro Pick's with actuators
Bodywork and paint by: Fredy's Body Shop Kansas City, MO
Paint type / Color: PPG Arrival Blue with metallic added
Headlights / Taillights: 7-inch Euro headlights and LED taillights
Outside mirrors: Peep mirrors installed on doors
Bumpers: New front bumper from Classic Parts for '69-'70 pickup and installed a rear roll pan
Interior
Dashboard: stock that was re-covered with new ultraleather to match seats
Gauges: Dakota Digital
Air conditioning: Vintage Air
Stereo: Kenwood KVT-696 DVD Receiver, JL Audio Amp JL-XD400/4, JL Audio rear speakers 6x9 and an 8-inch JL Subwoofer installed in a custom box behind the seats
Steering wheel: Colorado Custom 14-inch Paradox Split
Steering column: ididit chrome column
Seats: buckets that came out of a 2002 Cavalier with headrests removed, custom center console
Upholstery by: Design & Stitching done by Greg Hain and George Craig of Roosters Rod Shop in Liberty, MO
Material / Color: Ultraleather / teak
Carpet: Oatmeal German square weave
Modifications: custom made headliner that they incorporated a hood emblem from a '54 Chevy Bel Air and the custom door panels have a Chevy bowtie from the seatback of a '68 Camaro, also installed Lokar Billet throttle pedal

 1972 Chevrolet C10 Rear Passenger Side


1972 Chevrolet C10 Shortbed Truck Bed Gas Cap

No comments:

Post a Comment